Insight from a Runner's High

I’m running. Every time I step on the ground, a jolt of pain from my knee spreads itself to my thigh. If I don’t stop immediately, it feels like an internal organ inside my lower ribs is going to burst. The cool wind gently brushing on my body is the only delight, so I focus on that. The pain is still there. I look ahead at the trees slow dancing with the wind. “It’s impossible to go ahead without a rest”, emerges an inner voice, but I ignore that and keep going. After a while, something strange happens. I no longer feel pain, but just feel incredibly grateful to be alive. A sense of bliss washes over my body. I feel energized, so I run faster.

My brain was lying to me. Had I listened to it, I wouldn’t have felt the runner’s high. The storm before the calm isn’t limited to running. Whenever we have to take action, our first instinct is to put it off. An inner voice convinces us that it’s going to be boring, that it can be done any other time but now. If we don’t succumb to this voice and do what we have to, something strange happens. We realize doing it wasn’t as dreadful as thought out to be. You feel engaged, and your self-esteem goes up. Again, your brain was lying to you. I’m sure you’ve never said “Oh, I regret doing this, I should’ve mindlessly scrolled through Instagram instead” after reading a book, exercising, cleaning your room, or doing anything productive.

To evaluate whether we should do something or not, we often try to speculate how we might feel while doing it. Unfortunately, the only way to know the future is by being in it. Taking action turns the future into the present- only then can we give a fair evaluation. My point is if you want to do something, just do it; don’t give up before trying. 

Comments

Post a Comment