What's 50 grand to a mofo like Jay-Z?


Ni**as in Paris was released in 2011

A verse by Jay-Z goes,
“What's 50 grand to a motherfucker like me?
Can you please remind me?”
In 2011, he had a net worth of $450 million
50 grand was a measly 0.01% of his wealth
The Arab Spring happened during the same time; the Middle East and North Africa were struck with instability and violence
50 grand could mean food in the table of hundreds of families there
50 grand could be enough for many to escape the sounds of guns and bombs to start a new life where even the bare minimum seems to be a far fetched dream  
Instead 100s of grands were exchanged for fancy watches and designer clothes
But what’s 100 grand to a mofo like Jay-Z?

I’m not criticizing Jay-Z here
Because what is $20 to a mofo like me?
Maybe a kid whose parents were bombed out of existence in Gaza could live for one more day with $20
$20 could also mean mosquito nets for many of the thousands of people still dying due to Malaria
Instead, I used that $20 to buy an Aquarius (an electrolyte drink) when I already had a bottle of water inside my bag
I traded my comfort with a human life using that $20
Just like Jay-Z, but on a smaller scale

If I don’t already do what is within my capacity to help the world, will I start doing it after I become rich by any chance? Or will fancy watches and designer clothes be the new Aquarius for me?


Comments